Friday, May 20, 2011

It started as a joke. My friend Lisa likes to tease me about my inordinate fondness for fancy food. I was extolling the virtues of very high end dining establishments. She brought up taco in a bag. She said that until I tried taco in a bag I could not say these places are better.

I had never heard of taco in a bag. She described it to me. It did not sound promising. Our friend Annelies, who is a trained chef and has worked at high end restaurants suggested, on a lark, that we take it and turn it into high end fare. Thus the taco project was born.

Greg, also a trained chef, joined our team, I think because he likes a challenge. I’m not sure. He has never said, and I haven’t thought to ask him. So did Maya, who has no culinary training whatsoever, but is a graphic designer. If we are going to serve taco in a bag, we need someone to design the bag.

As for me, I don’t have any professional culinary training either, just a lifelong obsession with cooking that started as soon as I was old enough to hold a spoon. I’m mostly a dessert person, but I’m willing to move to entrees for this.

This blog chronicles our quest.

2 comments:

  1. Heston Blumenthal has some very interesting ideas you might like to consider, if not incorporate. For instance, his hamburger recipe in Modernist Cuisine is a 30-hour prep - not that I'd suggest anything so elaborate -- but if you have a vacuum sealer available, he suggests compressing a tomato. Can look up details if desired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomato compression? I need to know more about this.

    ReplyDelete